Sunday, July 3, 2022

VA Claims File for James Robert Dodge - Applying for a Widow's Pension in 1950

Following Grandpa Jim's death in 1949, and in addition to being awarded funeral benefits, my great-grandma, Alice Lemoine Dodge also applied for a pension. In order to apply for a pension, she had to provide several pieces of information, including proof of death of the veteran, proof of his military service, proof that she was not presently married to anyone else (including proof she was divorced from her first husband - I have another blog that details her divorce from her first husband), proof of income and expenses, and information on her children. Below is a copy of her initial pension application from 1950.





Based on all the information she provided, great-grandma was awarded a monthly pension of $54.00 per month for being the widow of a veteran. This certainly was not much income, but it was enough to help her get by. In reviewing the information that she provided, I was surprised to learn that my grandpa paid $40 per month for room and board. It also appears that in addition to attending high school, uncle Alfred also helped support great-grandma by working as well. During the 1950's, both her sons were drafted into military service. Robert (my grandpa) was drafted in November of 1951 and served in the Marine Corps. Grandpa did not see combat, but was stationed in Haiti & Jamaica. Alfred was drafted in 1953 and served in the Army. Both were honorably discharged following completion of their military service. Following their military service, both sons married and moved away. Grandpa met my grandma in Evanston, married in Randolph in 1954, and lived in Clearfield, Utah. Uncle Alfred married his wife, Donna, in North Dakota in 1955 and lived in Minot, North Dakota. They would later live in Marietta, Georgia.

Great-grandma continued to live in Rawlins. She maintained her pension by providing annual statements of her income to the VA. According to this information, she began receiving social security in 1959, which was a small addition to her income. In 1976, great-grandma sold her home in Rawlins and moved to Clearfield, Utah. Even though she lived in a small apartment, she gave the VA grandpa's address, so her mail and pension checks from the VA wouldn't get lost or misplaced (so I assume, but that idea makes sense). When great-grandma passed away on April 21, 1989, her monthly pension was $121 per month (in addition to her social security). The last forms in the Claims File are a letter from my grandpa informing them of my great-grandma's death and processing forms closing the Claims File.

I remember visiting my great-grandma in her apartment in Clearfield when I was a little kid. She loved having me and my sister over and would give us each a sugar cookie every time we were over. Being a little kid, I was oblivious to personal finances and had no idea how much, or how little, money she had. I also had no idea of the life she had lived and the things she had been through. I just remember that she loved having us over and enjoyed spending time with her great-grandkids. She was always there for birthdays and family get togethers (I have a picture of her with my other two great-grandmas at one of our birthdays when I was a kid). I remember when she passed away and being sad thinking about how she wouldn't be there anymore. The viewing was in Clearfield and we were all there. I even signed the funeral book. I didn't know what to expect at the viewing, but mom reassured us that there was nothing to be afraid of, and even encouraged us to touch her hand, which we did. She was buried in Rawlins.

These last several posts have been very interesting to go through. 70 years of family history, giving additional information and insights to my great-grandpa's life and what he went through after serving in the Army in WWI as well as giving additional information on my great grandma's life. I would like to finish with a few pictures of my great-grandma from the 1950's through the 1980's, as well as a few more pics of the home they built in Rawlins.

Great-grandma with Grandpa - 1946

Grandpa in the Marines - outside the home in Rawlins

Uncle Alfred - outside the home in Rawlins

Great-grandma - outside the home in Rawlins

Great-grandma with her sons - 1950's

Great-grandma - 1950's

633 Davis Street - 1949

1950

2010

Great-grandma in 1976, when she moved to Clearfield

Her 90th Birthday - 1987

Great-grandma at one of our family get togethers - the little tow-headed boy is me.

My great-grandma.

No comments: