Monday, January 7, 2008

Sherman Dodge (1875-19??) & Alfred Dodge (1877-19??)

I have been looking and am looking for Census Records/directories/death records for Sherman E Dodge & Alfred H Dodge. They are brothers of my great-grandfather, James R. Dodge. Sherman & Alfred were born in Maine (Sherman b. 21 April 1875; Alfred b. 25 Nov 1877), grew up in Colorado and sometime during the 1900's moved to California (which part of Caliornia I don't know. I've never been able to find out. Plus, there are no death records for them in California). Sherman & Alfred are both listed in the 1900 Census in Buena Vista, Colorado and were mining ore there. After that, they disappear from the Census, as there is no record of them in the 1910, 1920, 1930 & 1940 Census. The only reference I have found of them living in California is from their mother's obituary from 1919.
There is a family story that my grandpa told me years ago and keeps coming up in conversation. He told me that there were two Dodge brothers that went to San Francisco during the 1900's and died in the great earthquake of 1906. Countless people died in that disaster, and if Sherman and Alfred died during the earthquake they were probably among the unidentified dead and buried in a comon grave. I'm not sure this is absolutely true, but since everyone else in the family has been found and there have been, as yet, no official record of Sherman and Alfred after 1900 or so, this may be possible. I can't prove it but I can't disprove it either. My grandpa has also told me that his father, Jim, could always put his finger on these two and always seemed to know where they were. Jim never said where they were, though. My grandpa also told me that for all he knew, they may have been in jail somewhere. Again, nobody knows for sure.
I was very surprised to find out that Sherman was married and divorced. He married Mary Brown in Denver in 1900. He was living in Crested Butte, Colorado, and she was living in Denver, Colorado, when they married. They lived in Denver during their brief marriage. She divorced him three years later. According to the complaint filed against Sherman, he was very abusive, both physically and verbally, towards his wife. In response to the complaint, he wrote a letter denying the charges aginst him. The divorce was granted in October of 1903. At this time, Sherman was living in Cokeville, Wyoming. I don't know if Sherman remarried (it doesn't seem liekly) or if Sherman or Alfred had children or even where or when they died. One thing is certain; they were both alive as late as 1903. Along with Sherman's divorce, Nathaniel and Fannie have nine children according to Genealogy of the Carney Family: Descendants of Mark Carney and Suzanne Goux, his Wife, of Pownalboro, Maine, 1751-1903. After 1903, there is no concrete evidence (apart from their mother's obituary) that Sherman & Alfred were alive.

No comments: